Thursday 17 May 2012

Shattered

Our arrival in Broome was...unexpected. We planned to spend the night at a rest stop 150km from Broome after leaving Port Hedland.

We were there nice and early and Mark decided it was a good time to change the oil and oil filter. We had picked up the parts in Port Hedland but could not do the mechanical work in the caravan park.

See the crack...it is not meant to be cracked!
He dumped the old oil but was having some trouble getting to the oil filter to change it. There were other people at the rest stop, mostly grey nomads with their shinny caravans. I was having a chat with the ladies and the men went over to see what Mark was up to.

As always when you have the hood of a car up men flock. Some helpful, some unhelpful, some just want to sticky beak. As the offending piece of machinery still would not budge an old man found some pipe to gain some 'leverage.' Clearly this man was of the helpful kind. He was giving the very tight oil filter housing a pull.

From my perspective (over having a gossip with the ladies) all I saw was Mark look up and slowly start to walk over to me. His face looked terrible and I knew something was wrong. My face was questioning...what could have happened?

All Mark said was..."I f**ked it."
"You what?" said I.
"Its f**cked." He said.

I thought to myself; how bad can this possibly be? We walked over to the car together. I found some composure in the hot baking sun and asked for a more detailed description of the problem from my clearly shattered husband.

He described how as the older man was attempting to undo the oil housing he heard a 'chink' and thought it had come undone. Joy soon turned to dispair as he looked down and realised that the oil housing was cracked. A bit dirty gaping crack in aluminum housing that should not be cracked.  

"Oh hell." Was all I said. On the inside I was freaking out and praying that I might see my Dad, Jake, Gerard, Mum, Nan or Pa drive down the dusty red road to help. No one came.

The helpful and unhelpful men were offering suggestions both stupid and annoying in equal parts. You could not blame them though...all were just trying to help. My favorite was the suggestion to stick it together with selastic. "No," said Mark, "that will melt." the other men agreed.

We were running out of light as the sun slowly set. The old men started to filter away, realising that our cause was lost. A helpful man handed Mark a beer and I have never seen him relish the taiste of a XXXX as he did then.

There was no mobile service at the camp and the mozzies started to arrive. The man who broke the offending part offered his mobile that had service. We rang the RAA (SA equivalent of NRMA). I am so greatful to Mark for his carefulness, his preparedness and his smarts as he had registered for premium cover all over Australia.

RAA were FANTASTIC and I cannot give them a big enough wrap. We had a tow truck on the way in half an hour to not only pick up Mendoza but also Mavis and of course ourselves. We used 150kmof the allowed 200km towing. The RAA also organised a cabin in a caravan park in Broome. They provide up to $130 a night in accommodation. As that is our normal weekly budget for food and accommodation I could almost get excited...almost.

Everything was organised and I had time for a little reflection. I decided that the worst thing was that we really had no where to go but where we were standing right then and there. Isn't that an interesting thought...no where at all but right where I am. No appointments, no house, no one expecting us...it was a very lonely feeling.

The dark came with the mosquitos, thousands of them, and we sat in the dark waiting for the tow truck. The man who broke Mendoza asked us in for tea. His caravan was warm and safe and he and his wife were very kind. It lifted our spirits considerably as did the packet of chocolate biscuits I ate (yes, again.)

Jason came in his tow truck and although he was rough and ready and stared at my chest he deftly put the ute on the truck and towed Alice the trailer behind. One in Broome he dropped us at our accomodation and we watched as he drove off with Mendoza and Alice, our home.

 Settled into our accommodation there was nothing to do but have wine and cheese (clearly there were no biscuits left) and worry and sleep in equal measure.

We are ok though!
Love Krystal

No comments:

Post a Comment