Saturday 11 February 2012

The 10km run and skorts.

Today was the day of the big run. It was the B and E Hobart Run the Bridge.

I was very nervous; this being only my second 'competitive' run after the Broken Hill 5km fun run. I had only ever run 10km once and that was before my shoulder op so I was worried I could not do it.

Poor Mark had to put up with me being a nervous wreck.

Did you know that fun runs normally start before the sun gets up...thats not fun. Mostly it is freezing...also not fun. The fun part comes later Mark tells me as we get on a bus like cattle to be taken to the start line. Despite this seemingly unfunness I was so excited and nervous that it did not matter.

One of the most interesting things was looking at everyone. Previous to this morning I thought that Tasi people did not own any shorts as who would need shorts when it is always to cold to wear them. Was I wrong! There were short shorts, hot pink shorts, big shorts and tight shorts but the best one was a skort (a pair of shorts pretending to be a skirt for the uninitiated). This short phenomenon had me intrigued.

The next most interesting thing was the seriousness of people. Men were sucking down gels (its a 10km run people, not a marathon), people were warming up by running up and down the hill at the start line risking running 10km before the race even started.

The funniest thing must have been Mark and I in our sunnies, while it was dark trying not to freeze. We had to wear our sunnies as we both wear glasses and therefore have prescription sunnies. The catch is you cant carry anything with you so we could not carry our glasses and our sunnies. A choice had to be made at 5am on what to wear; sunnies or glasses. Sunnies were a clear winner as it would be sunny while we were actually running (we hoped). The only draw back was that it was dark but when we took our sunnies off we could not see! Maddness!

The race started and it was mad; people going at all different paces trying to get past each other. I was lucky not to fall over. It was exhilarating though and I ran one of my fastest 1km splits ever on the second km of the race.

I would like to publicly thank my wonderful husband for running the first km with me as I was so nervous and for carrying my jumper that kept me warm at the start. I love him. After the first km he gave me little pat on the behind and ran off way ahead of me!

The run was great and Mark finished in 55mins. I did it in an hour. For me that was a fast time so I am very happy.

We got a medal at the end which I wanted to wear all day until I realised I looked silly; never mind.

Love a very sore but happy Krystal

2 comments:

  1. This post is useless without pictures of girls in short shorts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad someone else shares the dilemma of sunglasses vs glasses...I find it most difficult when you really only have room for one but at one point you are either going to be blinded by the sun or left feeling a little shady in the dark!! x

    ReplyDelete