Saturday 25 February 2012

Overland Track Part III

Day 4: New Pelion Hut to Bert Nichols Hut (Windy Ridge)

Breakfast of cereal and skim milk powder and water. I was begining to really like skim milk powder, I was thinking I could have it instead of real milk cause it taists so good.

Before we left New Pelion Hut I had to tape up my toes and pop a blister on my right shoulder with a pin. I felt like I was at school when the tough kids pierce their own ears with a pin that they have put in a flame to sterilize it. I found myself employing this method to pop the blister...gross. After that we had to tape up my shoulder and pad it with a scalf so I could walk with my pack.

The other thing to note is that I was still wearing the same shirt. I looked over at Mark and he was in a fresh shirt. I did not bring s 'fresh shirt' as I didn't want to carry it. I felt very envious at that point in time!

The start of this day was marred by tree roots. The path was tree roots and it was very difficult to walk on. We made it though and did the 21km to Bert Nichols Hut. We were walking about 3km in an hour and that is quite slow. People were over taking us and that was annoying even though I know it is not a competition. Its silly what you do to keep going but I kept thinking about what I would get for my birthday and the cake I would have. Just like a kid. It kept me walking anyway.

Bert Nichols was warm and dry with lots of tank water. Mark played cards with some of the other hikers and I tried not to fall asleep in my Deb (potato).

Day 5: The End!
We walked and walked and walked. I strapped every one of my toes and Mark took some weight off me to help my shoulder. I could not have done this amazing walk with out him, thank you ML.

We made it home with lots of stops!

I'm also grateful to Sarah and Darryl for making it possible for us to complete the hike. We owe you a debt of gratitude. Thank you so much.

I highly recomend the Overland Track. It was fantastic and amazing. The challenge and the scenery and the comradarie with other hikers is just awesome.

Thanks for doing it with me ML.
Love Krystal

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Well done! Just reading your posts made me tired - and so sore! your poor shoulder - but hey you made it and I bet you feel tonnes of relief. the photos look great but I'm sure the real thing is even better! I'm glad you made it safely and enjoyed it in the end.
    Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete