Tuesday 14 February 2012

Have you fiddled with the fire?

Innocently sitting by the fire


Its been a few days since we have had enough reception to blog so there is a bit to fill you in on.

Since leaving Hobart we visited Huonville and tasted apple cider and some wines.

We spent a night at Arve River Picnic Grounds which was a beautiful spot by a running stream surrounded by rainforest. When we first arrived it was deserted but there were flushing toilets (very exciting when normally they are holes in the ground) and fire places with fire wood. After checking out the camp ground we were undecided if we should stay there the night. We got back in the car and drove around and found no where better so decided the picnic ground would be our home for the night.

On returning to the camp we found a bus had pulled up with 6 people in it and they had piled up the wood that was there. By this time it had quickly become 'our wood' according to the rule of finders keepers. Possession is, however, 9/10 of the law so we were quickly loosing claim to it.

In a sneaky and underhanded move Mark grabbed the wood and began to make a very haisty fire with the wood. The idea being that if we are using it you cant have it! Well it worked and we got to keep the wood.

 There was a price to pay for the stolen wood and hastily made fire, it was a terrible fire! It smoked and smoked and was getting embarrassing. The group who we won the wood off came over and tried to help Mark fix the sad excuse for a fire and that helped a little. I was desirous of stepping in and taking over but was keenly aware of the challenge this could pose to Marks ego. I let it go.

I little while later, with a still smoking fire, I said to Mark..."permission to touch the fire?" it was granted as he was well and truly over it by now and I think his ego had vacated the camp site. After fiddling with the fire for a little while I was able to at least stop the smoking from happening.

I left the fire to make a cup of tea. On my return the fire had begun to smoke again. I said to Mark; "Did you fiddle with the fire?"
"No." Was his firm reply.

I started to try and fix it again when a little voice behind me said; "Well, I might have kicked a log in."
"That would explain it." I said.
Bear Grylls he is not, love him I still do.

Looking for a ship!
The next day we visited Arve Falls which was beautiful and then made our way along the Huontrail where it is advertised that all good foodies should go. It was ok, with fresh produce and a winery or two but I must say Victoria and SA definatly match it in terms of restaurants and produce, not to mention wine.

We visited the most Southern tip of Tasi and tried and failed to catch a fish.

Tonight we are lucky to have a bed at Sarah's in Snug! We will be snug as bugs in rugs tonight.

More soon.
I like this quote from a French explorer who landed on the very Southern tip of Tasi 
before the English arrived.
Love Krystal

No comments:

Post a Comment