Wednesday 29 February 2012

If I were a vampire I'd live in Tasmania

This blog post comes to you from Scottsdale. My favorite little town in Tasi so far. The people are friendly here and actually say hello to you in the street which is a nice change.

Scottsdale is near Launceston and is a good point from which to access the East Coast and the Tamar Valley.
Platypus!
We have found a fantastic little camp ground that only charges $3 a night for an unpowered sight and it has HOT showers! Exciting. It also has a great camp kitchen and a flat surface to pitch a tent. The camp ground is called Myrtle Park.

We visited the Tamar Valley yesterday and tried some of the wineries at their cellar door. The best was Ninth Island and Pipers Brook. Their Riesling was buttery and crisp and their Pino was fantastic and punchy. Other standouts were Velo for their fine Pino and Goats Hill for their great service. Most of the vineyards are family owned and very friendly. We also met some of the dogs from the "Wine Dogs" book.

We took time to visit some orchards and picked our own berry's to eat on the way from winery to winery. As always when wine is added it is a good day.

We went for a drive to The Bay of Fires and as the squeeky sand squashed under our feet as we watched the clear blue/green waves roll in. It was beautiful but very isolated.
Staying warm with a hot choci

Other highlights of the area have been:
    # Platupi in the Scottsdale Park
    # Pyengana Cheese Company
    # The Scottsdale Cottage Bakery that claims the best Vanilla Slice on earth (it is pretty good).

As for the weather well today it is 13 degrees. Its cold. I have a scarf, beanie and coat on. It is mad. The nights are cold and it is always damp. Previously I have said if I was to be a vampire I would live in Moss Vale. I take that back, I'd live in Tasi! The locals seem used to the cold of course...maybe they are vampires. I'm on a mission to find out.

Love lots


Update on my Overland Track blister...sexy!
Krystal

1 comment:

  1. They are definitely vampires! The locals recommended we pitch camp away from the afternoon sun! (Afternoon sun in Tassie is very mild)

    ReplyDelete