Wednesday 1 February 2012

Avatar!

After yesterdays driving winds and rain on the coast, beautiful beaches and harsh country today was a complete contrast.


We are in Gippsland, Victoria and visited Tarra National Park.

My favorite place in the world is clearly Eugowra, coming second is Switzerland Alps and third on the list is Tarra National Park.

The rainforest was spectacular as it wrapped you up in a cold damp blanket of green moss. The ferns were huge and in their thousands and I was waiting for a Navi from Avatar to come walking out of the forest.

The National Park is very well looked after and was not touristy at all. There was hardly anyone else around as we took our time on walks; taking photos and trying to drink in the beauty of the rainforest.

For years I have taught Year 7 rainforests as a topic in Geography but seeing the layers of the canopy and the complex eco system with my own eyes was just fantastic.

The only draw back of the day was that I did not see a Wombat. I am desperate to see a live wombat so I am keeping my eyes out. Next time.

Krystal.

3 comments:

  1. Never seen a wombat?? Man now I wish I took you on a trip in the night - I could have fulfilled you dream!!
    Glad you guys made it to VIC...keep on having fun and don't give up - the cold showers may be worth it for what you get to see - just remember it's all part of the "experience!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha if only I had known you had access to Wombat viewing! I am currently trying to convince Mark to turn around!!!!
    Whenwe get home we are again coming for a visit.
    Thanks for your support in the cold shower department, it is def. part of the experience.
    Sending our love to you, say hi to your family.
    Love Krystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't need to go that far for wombats Krystal, there are heaps around Lithgow! We saw a giant one, and several ordinary sized ones at Newnes.

    ReplyDelete